Friday, October 23, 2009

PghPLAYS - Get Involved


PghPLAYS is an idea born from my realization that, at the age of 22, it had been at least
five years since I had played, just for the sake of playing. So I started to play again, tossing Frisbees and kicking kickballs and running around, and it was great. So great that I wanted other young people to join in. And so Obscure Games, a twice-weekly meetup to play, began through the University of Pittsburgh's Outdoors Club. Since September 2009, we've met twice a week to play games most people have never heard of. New players join us every week, and regulars come back to play again.

From Obscure Games came the idea for the PghPLAYS Festival of Games. Like the Come Out and Play Festival in New York City and the Igfest in Bristol, UK, PghPLAYS is a celebration of the impact of creative play on individuals and communities, men and women, adults and children. Right now, the festival is in the planning stages, looking for funding and community support. If you're interested in this project and would like to get involved, make a comment on this post and I'll keep you in the loop as the project develops. And keep an eye on the blog for news, games, and other information about playing in Pittsburgh.

Now, get some friends, get out there, and go play!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Alissa and I know the season just ended, but I would really liked to get involved whenever things start back up again! I am a grad student at CMU, and what grad student couldn't use a little more play time in their week? Plus, as a native of Pgh too, I enjoy your enthusiasm about the city. Let me know how I can help. I have been brainstorming possible places for indoor play... this was a very exciting discovery indeed. Hope to hear back~ Cheers.

    ReplyDelete